Acceptable forms of Identification

The Aurora Amateur Radio Group will administer examinations to anyone with a mailing address that can be validated with the United States Postal Service.  The applicant must also present a valid government issued photo identification from any U.S. state or federal authority.  Canadian identification is only accepted per a written waiver issued by the Aurora ARG VE Program Chairman.  We accept any of the following types of valid, government issued photo identification for applicants over the age of 18:

    a.)  Driver’s licenses or other state photo identity cards issued by Department of Motor Vehicles (or equivalent) in any U.S. state or territory
    b.)  U.S. passport book
    c.)  U.S. passport card
    d.)  DHS trusted traveler cards (Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI, FAST)
    e.)  U.S. Department of Defense IDs, including dependent IDs
    f.)  U.S. Permanent resident cards
    g.)  Border crossing cards, issued by a U.S. or Canadian government authority
    h.)  DHS-designated enhanced driver’s licenses
    i.)  Federally recognized, tribal-issued photo IDs
    j.)  HSPD-12 PIV cards
    k.)  Canadian provincial/territorial driver’s license or Indian and Northern Affairs Canada identification cards (written waiver required)
      NOTE:  If a waiver is granted by the Chairman, we will require two forms of proof showing you have a valid mailing address in the United States if you are presenting Canadian ID.  Those two pieces of mail must be from a business, financial institution, government entity or utility company.
    l.)  Transportation worker identification credentials issued by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security
    m.)  U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services Employment Authorization Cards (I766)
    n.)  U.S. Merchant Mariner Credentials

If the applicant’s legal name is different than what is printed on their primary document, they must present additional document(s) that provide proof of name change.  This can be in the form of a marriage license or other court issued documentation positively attesting to the name change.

Amateur radio applicants under the age of 18 are not required to show photo identification.  However, they must present at least two of the following:

    a.)  Certificate of U.S. Citizenship, Naturalization, or Birth Abroad
    b.)  An original or certified copy of a U.S. birth certificate (From Vital Statistics) (Certified Informational Copies are NOT valid for identity purposes.)
    c.)  Employee ID
    d.)  Health Insurance Card
    e.)  Library Card with the applicant's name printed
    f.)  School ID
    g.)  A signed letter from a parent or guardian attesting to the positive identity of the applicant (A clear photocopy of the parent or guardian’s government issued photo identification must be attached to the letter otherwise this will not be an acceptable form of identifying an applicant under the age of 18.)
    h.)  If this is a remote testing session, then a parent or legal guardian of the applicant must be present at the start of the session to attest to the positive Identity of the applicant and present their own photo ID.

If you are physically testing outside the United States, you must present proof of Permanent Residency or Citizenship status in the United States before an exam is administered.  This also includes providing proof of holding a valid mailing address in the United States.  No exceptions will be given.